In Loving Memory

IMG_0588.JPG

Click here to go to the actual obituary online. It's surreal.

Bryce Dee Brown, 33, loving husband, daddy, son, brother, and friend, lost his battle with melanoma on October 25, 2007. His entire family surrounded him, held him, and told him funny stories as he passed. For 100 days, Bryce fought with all his might to kill cancer. He fought for his wife Tammy (Sellers), 32, his 9 month-old baby Danika, for his family, and for all those who face this insidious disease. He approached this fight with great dignity, optimism and valor, which was par for his course.

Bryce endured and triumphed over more trials than most would ever know. His love for life, good natured personality, brightness and charm carried him through these tough times, especially through this final conflict. All of his hard work and determination paid off when he married his best friend and love of his life, Tammy, just 5 years ago in the Salt Lake Temple. They loved each other more than anything, and with the birth of their daughter Danika this year, felt ready to take on the world. How quickly life changes, and it is up to each of us to decide how we will be affected. Bryce knew that. He chose to be strong. He chose to be happy.

Family was the most important thing to Bryce, as his family buoyed him and loved him through his darkest challenges. He owes so much of his accomplishments and joys to his father Roger, his mother Jeen, sister Jenni, and brothers Brady and Brian (deceased). Bryce wanted more than anything to attend Brady’s wedding to Ashley (Broderick) in just 3 weeks. He will be there, as all of us know. He was deeply loved by Tammy’s family: Dan and Marian Sellers, Holly and Clark (Chamberlain), Scott and Amy, and Steffani and Nic (Clark) who never considered him an in-law, but as part of the Sellers family. Bryce adored children, especially his nieces and nephew, McKenna, Ella, Addy, Isaac, Avery, Camryn and Brooklyn.

While we all mourn the loss of this remarkable man, we celebrate his life and his spirit, and will watch him live on in his daughter. Bryce’s personality was strong, and it was fun to see what he would “binge” on next. He loved “dogging” with his dad, until it was replaced by Porsches and auto crossing, which was replaced with golfing. Once upon a time, he was an avid mountain biker and skier, and played baseball. Bryce was smart, as everybody who attended school with him at Bountiful High (1992), University of Utah, and University of Phoenix would attest. He was working toward a business degree, which he utilized while working at Bintz Restaurant Supply.

Bryce believed in tissue donation, his wife’s passion and career, and became a donor as a final act of love for others. We all loved this big, strong, “doorway” of a man. A special thank-you goes to his friend Bishop Beattie, for visiting him every day without fail during his 100-day battle. Thanks to Dr. Gordon Watson and Dr. James Pearl for giving him the opportunity to fight this dreaded disease with all the determination he had to give. Thanks to the remarkable staff on East 8 at LDS Hospital and the loving staff at LDS Hospital radiation therapy for believing in the fight, taking care of his entire family, and shedding tears with his passing. Thanks to the staff at Discovery House, who loved him and saved his life 8 years ago.

Every tragedy offers a chance to change the world. I, Tammy Brown, will do my part to honor Bryce by joining the fight against melanoma. Stay away from tanning beds! Protect yourself from the sun! Have your moles checked! Melanoma is preventable, so don’t actively seek it. Melanoma kills.

A viewing will be held Monday, October 29th, from 6-8 at Lindquist Mortuary in Bountiful, 727 N. 400 E.(Orchard Drive). Another viewing will be held Tuesday, October 30, from 9:45-10:45, followed by a funeral service to honor our fallen warrior at the Val Verda 9th Ward Chapel in Bountiful, 3317 S. 800 W. from 9:45-10:45.This service is open to all of Bryce’s supporters. If you would like to donate, our cause is the Melanoma Research Foundation. Read about Bryce’s fight at www.brycedbrown.com. We will always love you, Brycey. “We’re Killing Cancer!”

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 4:50 AM
Jenny (Mc) Baird said:

Dear Tammy, I'm reading this just 5 mins. after your posting of it. It was the same with the Oct.25th posting, that time I believe it was 20 mins.(I am a night owl most of the time, when my whole day or several days arent totally consumed by sleep!) I sure wasnt expecting the news I'd read that time! I hadnt been on in a few days, since the feeding tube info. I admit it, I was scared! Seems so strange to feel so deeply about people I've never had the pleasure of meeting (and it would have been a huge pleasure to have met your warrior! and would still be a pleasure to meet you and little Danika.) I'm still praying I make it on Mon. or Tues. to honor and celebrate the life of such a courageous and loving man. But there I was and here I am again, with tear filled eyes, reading your loving and powerful words! I feel your pain, well,only partly, I guess. No one could ever know exactly how devastating it must be unless they too had lost their spouse, their "sweetheart" or their 'doorway' of a man! Yet I do feel as if a dear friend has gone, or like my best friend has just lost her husband. Again I thank you for sharing your love story.I and soo many others have learned so much from your willingness to share your pain, Bryces pain.Your joy, ups, downs, everything the two of you were feeling.You were going thru so much but you still took the time to share and to warn and scold. You two inspired so many. Thanks for that! It has been thru you and your incredible gift of writing that I know I am not the only "stranger" to feel this way. I've read their comments as well and everyone just fell in love with you and Bryce and wanted so badly for him to beat it! To kill cancer! People all around the world rallying together, right along with you and your families and friends, praying for that miracle! We are so proud of his courage and his ability to keep a positive attitude and of you, right there by his side every step of the way!! The Taminator and the Warrior, fighting to destroy evil, side by side!!! I am glad I was up to read this tonight. I'm glad you posted before I signed off, I've been wondering and worrying how you are doing. It sounds like your incredible and relentless strength is still there. Seeing you thru. For that I am grateful and I pray that it continues for the next few days.
May the Lord wrap his arms around you and Dani and remind you that you are not alone, that you will never have to suffer alone! May He comfort you both and forever bring you peace. Always in my prayers, Jenny in So. Ogden

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 11:12 AM
Brenda O. said:

That was a beautiful tribute to Bryce. I love the picture you chose for the newspaper. I sent it to my friends and family. We are killing cancer. You continue to amaze me and everyone else.
love,

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 12:17 PM
Barbara Tew said:

Tammy, I was so sad to hear about Bryce passing. I want you to know how many times I have thought about your little family and the Sellers family and the Rodger Brown family. I admire you all for your brave and valiant fight. I think you as "The Incredible Tammy Brown". Have faith in the future, and what our Father has planned for you. Love Always,
Barbara Tew

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 12:27 PM
Maureen (wife of Geoff, stage iv, Toronto, Canada said:

Beautiful tribute...will be thinking of you on Tuesday.

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 2:03 PM
Shalise Benjamin said:

Hi,
I read your husband's obituary and felt my heart sink for you and your daughter. I have a friend who's wife is going through a similiar situation. I also have an almost 5 year old daughter named Danica. I love your website and feel it is important information that WE all should be aware of. My heart goes out to you and your daughter as well as Bryce's family and yours. What a beautiful family you are. I would love to be of any help.

Shalise Benjamin
Draper Utah

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 2:57 PM
Amy (Nic) said:

I too have shed tears as I've read through your posts these last few days. I cannot comprehend the impact of Bryce's loss for you, but I am amazed by your strength and feel that Dani is so lucky to have such a wonderful, faithful mother! I'm not sure what I could say that would be helpful, but I came across this quote yesterday and thought of you:
"No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. It ministers to our education, to the development of such qualities as patience, faith, fortitude and humility. All that we suffer and all that we endure, especially when we endure it patiently, builds up our characters, purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable, more worthy to be called the children of God . . . and it is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the education that we come here to acquire and which will make us more like our Father and Mother in heaven. . . ." Orson F. Whitney(quoted in Spencer W. Kimball, Tragedy or Destiny, Brigham Young University Speeches of the Year [Provo, 6 Dec. 1955], 7)

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 4:37 PM
Rebecca Stevens said:

I am sorry that your husband died. I wish he didn't. But, Jesus Christ needed him. You will see him after this life. He was a good man. He was nice and loving to people.

Sincerely,

Rebecca

P.S. He really loves you.

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 4:45 PM
Rachelle Stevens said:

Bryce was a good man. His work on the earth was done. He did a very good job fighting cancer. He lived longer than the doctors thought he would. He spent every minute he could with you. He was fighting cancer to stay with you longer. He really loves you and he always will. He will watch over you in Heaven and will never forget you and Dani. He made sure that you understood that he loves you and Dani and to let you know that he will never forget you. It was with your love that he stayed alive for longer. When Dani is older, even though she is really young, she will remember her times with her dad. She will love to read all the posts and look at all the pictures. She will remember that her dad was a very strong man and fought for every minute with her and her mom. There are a lot of people that still love you, Bryce and Dani. You have a lot of friends. Don't forget that Bryce still loves you.

Rachelle

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 5:11 PM

You can do this. I know it's hard to go on. Bryce really was a "doorway" and his strength helped you. But, you have the strength and you CAN do this. My dad died when he was 43 and I was 7. He is and always will be my hero. I know he loved me, and still does. Bryce left that legacy, as well, for you and Dani. Love heals all wounds; especially the big ones.

I know that during special moments in my life that my dad was there. I know Bryce will be there for Dani and you as well. You already have been given that assurance.

Bryce's passing was Heavenly Father's will for reasons we don't know other than it was his time. How beautiful that he didn't leave this earth without a forever family. How wonderful that Dani was born! He lives on in her.

Please don't worry that Bryce will be forgotten. He can never be forgotten. His example and spirit is etched in all of our hearts and minds. My family has been blessed for knowing him. My kids now know how quickly life passes and we need to be ready for whatever may come our way. The most important preparation is to develop our relationships with Heavenly Father and follow the Savior's example.

And PLEASE don't feel guilty as time passes when you begin to enjoy life again. Bryce would want that for you. Let the laughter enter into your heart when the time is right. Die your hair outrageous colors and tell all the jokes you can. Bryce will be looking and listening...

But, for now, grieve your temporary loss and give yourself all the time you need. Remember that it will be in your timetable and nobody else's. Don't let anybody rush you.

I love you,

P.S. Rachelle says that Bryce will never really be gone!

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 5:51 PM
Debbie Peterson said:

I was so sad to hear about Bryce. Dee passed the updates along to all of us in the coalition and we were all praying for that miracle. As you know I didn't know Bryce but just hearing and reading about him, I'm sure he will be greatly missed by all.

Take care Tammy,

Love, Deb

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 6:05 PM
Emma said:

This is a message from Amy Nic's daughter, age 7:
Dear Tammy,
I feel the same about Bryce too. I wish I could come to the funeral. I don't really know what died means. Me and Mommy had a talk about what happened to Bryce. I know Jesus would never put him with Satan. I know Bryce and Heavenly Father are watching over you.
Love, Emma

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 6:26 PM
Jolene Smith said:

I wasn't sure if you'd be giving this blog a "rest" for a bit. I'm glad that you have been able to find strength and love from those you have shared with. I, like others, have checked your site daily for updates. Mostly, though (selfishly), I have hoped each day for a glimpse of your strength, love for your family and courage that you clearly possess and have a gift for sharing with others. You can be proud of the way you have handled this adversity in your life and you will be blessed for it. You already have been. I am sorry that you have had to endure the pain and sorrow, but the effects of it seem to have refined the person that you are. I am impressed. You come from wonderful family (at least the Pope side I'm intimately familiar with) and I know they will support and love you. I just wanted to thank you for sharing and I wish you peace as you go through this next phase in your life.

Jolene Smith

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 6:34 PM
Emma said:

This is a message from Amy Nic's daughter, age 7:
Dear Tammy,
Love, Emma

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 6:37 PM
jeremiah & josslyn said:

hey t

im sorry. call if u need or want 2.

-blue

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 6:48 PM
Tina said:

Tammy, Dani & Families~
I stumbled upon this blog while reading the obituaries in the Tribune. What an amazing family you are! Words cannot describe to you how you have lifted my spirits and opened my eyes to the importance of family and family matters. I cannot believe how positive and uplifting your posts are. I don't even know you but yet I feel the love that you had for one another. My husband and I are about your same ages and we just lost a dear friend about 2 months ago. It hardly seems fair or just that someone could be taken at such a young age. The one thing that rings true in my mind is that our Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us and He obviously had a better mission for Bryce and our dear friend to complete. Tammy and Dani, our thoughts and prayers are with you. Keep your heads up. Tammy, you are an amazing woman and in the three hours that it has taken me to completely read your blog, you have inspired me to be a better person; a better wife, mother, friend and family member to all. Thank you, thank you, thank you for your story and your inspiration. I hope to continue checking your blog and finding that you and Dani are doing well. Good luck and may our Father in Heaven bless you!

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 8:22 PM
Carrie said:

What a beautiful tribute. Thinking of you in tons... over here in Texas.

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 8:51 PM
Alisa said:

I just read your blog from beginning to end. I am so sad for your loss. I am very sad for you, and very sad for him. I am fighting melanoma as we speak (the mole was on my front thigh as well). Just know that you are so big, and helping so many people, and I am praying for you and your daughter.
Alisa

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 9:09 PM
Alky Lee said:

Dear Tammy
In God We trust and love.
Love, Alky

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 9:18 PM
Brad said:

I was very sorry to read of Bryce's passing. I had read your blog in the past because it was linked from my friend's Brendan and Julie (who is battling the same disease). You took time recently to post an uplifting comment on their blog, which speaks to your character.

When my wife emailed me on Friday to let me know of Bryce's passing I had just landed in Chicago for a business trip... I pulled up your blog on my phone and read your entry with tears in my eyes. Although I only "know" you through this blog, I know firsthand the pain that this disease causes families.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

I will pray for you and your family.

With love and admiration,
Brad

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 9:33 PM
Esther said:

Oh Tammy, I am so sorry for your loss. Brian, Brian and Bryce are together again. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Dani.
Lots of Love
Esther

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 9:41 PM
Chrissy Lassen said:

Dear Tammy,

I was working with Scott, Kory and Bryan on saturday morning when Scott told me about Bryce. I wasn't able to think or focus for a long time as the reality set in. I felt sick and shocked that the day had come and blessed that I got the privilege of visiting him awhile back. That day will forever be remembered as I watched your beautiful family interact with love and laughter and sorrow. Those few minutes I got to share with you guys are priceless. Thank you for sharing that valuble time.
Please know I love you and Bryce and Dani. I will see you Tuesday to honor and celebrate Bryce's life. What an amazing man. So happy. So kind. So accepting. So loving.
With all my love,
chrissy

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 9:43 PM
Tracie Terrill said:

Dear Tammy, Dani and Family,

I am so sorry for your loss, Bryce fought a good fight! As sad as you are and will be for a long time, know that you did everything that you could for Bryce. I am sure you already know this but I'll remind you anyway...our Heavenly Father only takes his very "Best" before their time. He was one of the Valiant!! Tami, you are such an anchor and I've placed you on a pedestal. What an example you are to so many that know your family and your journey. Thank you for sharing your journey with everyone, for opening your home so I could wish you and Bryce well. It was so wonderful to visit with him after so many years. You are so brave and you too fought a good fight, never forget that.
You have my prayers and best wishes.
Love, Tracie Terrill

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 9:51 PM
Jessi Stringham said:

I adore that picture of Bryce with Dani reading the book. She'll always treasure that!

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 9:52 PM
Tracie Terrill said:

Almost forgot...Your black and white family picture is absolutely darling, what a beautiful tribute to your little family. You can see in Bryces eyes just how happy you both made him. Thanks again for sharing. Tracie

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 9:53 PM
Korby said:

I feel your strength and I have never even met you. I am sorry for your loss and know you have a great future with your BEAUTIFUL daughter in store.

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 10:59 PM
The Moultrie's said:

What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful man! We love you and we are still praying for you and Dani during this difficult time.

Bob and Carolyn Moultrie

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 11:02 PM

My Dear Tammy,

I haven't stopped thinking of you and Danika, not for a second, since I heard the news. I was always astounded by your dignity and grace, but now, even more than ever. I've seen you through some hard times, never imagined it would be anything like this.

You are loved, beyond what you comprehend. Bryce was loved by all, and he KNEW it. How lucky is that?? As a team, you made a significant impact on the lives of many. More than you know.

With love, admiration, gratitude, and the utmost respect,

~Christy (Avis)

On Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 11:29 PM
Misty (Strand) Greer said:

I just returned from vacation and checked the blog and I'm devastated! I kept thinking I should comment before I left and didn't take the time to sit down and do it, now I feel awful that I missed my last chance to tell
Bryce what I really think about him (ha ha). After spending the last 2 hours reading all of the comments I am so amazed! It really puts into perspective how many people are fighting this terrible thing or are affected by it one way or another. You are amazing Tammy that you have been able to bring so many people together and touched so many lives! Thank you for telling so many people about my friend Bryce so that they can see what a great person he was. I feel so lucky to have known him. Those of you who don't know him, this lets you into a little of how caring he was... I hadn't seen Bryce in a few years (sorry about that Bryce), when I found out about his cancer. I came to visit and the first things he wants to know is about how I'M doing! Here he is, hooked up to oxygen, barely breathing and can barely talk because he was trying to catch his breath between sentences, and he's wasting his energy asking about ME! THAT was Bryce Brown. It was SO great to see you both that day and to meet little Dani. I will always remember that. I pray that you can have strength Tammy. I lost my sister a year ago next week and every so often I'll have a dream about her. Every one of them seems so real and I believe it is. I can see her and feel her and it's amazing. Usually she tells me something too. I'm sure you will have the same experiences and all I can say is write them down when they happen so you don't forget. You will then always remember your deep love for them and that they really are always with you.
I was able to attend a neat thing a few weeks ago. Dale Parsons, that paints some amazing pictures for the church, came and spoke to our relief society. He mentioned how he waivered about getting married in the temple to his wife, since he hadn't served a mission and such. His wife wouldn't settle for that, so they were able to be married in the temple for time and all eternity. He continued on to say, now later in their life, that she suddenly was killed in a car accident while taking the kids to school one day. What he said hit me so hard. He said that it was at that moment he found out the terrible news, that he realized the only thing that mattered now in his life was that they had been married in the temple. THAT is what gives us comfort.
How grateful I am for your wonderful insight and keeping us all up to date through all of this. How grateful I am to have known Bryce in this life, I have some great memories I will forever hold in my heart.
I will try to be able to come up for the funeral, I'm just not sure yet. It's times like these that it sure makes me home sick for Bountiful! Alright, I have to get up for a tissue because I've been crying to much and I really need to stop rambling on. I'm so sorry Tammy, my prayers are with you.

On Monday, October 29, 2007 at 12:09 AM
Melissa said:

My thoughts and prayers are with you during this time in your life that seems unbearable. I will continue to pray for your peace and comfort. I am sorry for all that you have endured, but he was lucky to have had such an amazing wife by his side.

Melissa

Salem, Ut

On Monday, October 29, 2007 at 3:06 AM
Anonymous said:

Tammy - you have such a way with words. This was beautiful. I'm so proud of you for the strength you've had through this whole time. I'm proud of you for having constant faith and I can see that it's gotten stronger. Bryce loves your and he always will be with you. Just close your eyes and feel his arms around you. Dani will help feelt he void. But as coming from someone that knows your pain all too well, it won't go away. But you'll find comfort. Love Always.

On Monday, October 29, 2007 at 8:37 AM
LeAnn Josie said:

After reading your husband's obituary I navigated my way here... Thank you for sharing your life so openly... You are an amazing woman! everything that I have read here has touched me for the good and will not be forgotten! Your family is in my thoughts and prayers...Hang in there!!

On Monday, October 29, 2007 at 9:02 AM

Tammy and Dani,

This is such a beautiful memorial to Bryce. I found this in the paper and loved hearing about him in such a triumphant tone. You girls stay strong for each other. We are praying so fervently for you. You are never far from my thoughts. Keep the Lord close and He will let you lean on him to help you through this time. Thank you for continuing to keep us all a part of this. You both are amazing girls!!

-Brittani Martin

On Monday, October 29, 2007 at 9:34 AM
Erin said:

Tammy and Dani,

I am so sorry. The tribute to Bryce was beautiful. After reading about the feeding tube and how the tumors had stopped growing, I felt like he had a very large chance to beat it. I am so sorry that it wasn't to be. You are an amazing wife, daughter, mother and person. Thank you so much for sharing this amazing story with us. YOu have given us strength and I hope that you have gained strength from reading the comments from people all over. I just pray that you can still have the strength that you need to get though this VERY difficult time. I will see you tonight at the viewing and than tomorrow at the funeral. Stay strong!

Erin

On Monday, October 29, 2007 at 10:44 AM
anonymous said:

Perhaps Love

Perhaps love is like a resting place
A shelter from the storm
It exists to give you comfort
It is there to keep you warm
And in those times of trouble
When you are most alone
The memory of love will bring you home

Perhaps love is like a window
Perhaps an open door
It invites you to come close
It wants to show you more
And even if you lose yourself
And dont know what to do
The memory of love will see you through

Oh, love to some is like a cloud
To some as strong as steel
For some a way of living
For some a way to feel
And some say love is holding on
And some say letting go
And some say love is everything
And some say they dont know

Perhaps love is like the ocean
Full of conflict, full of change
Like a fire when its cold outside
Or thunder when it rains
If I should live forever
And all my dreams come true
My memories of love will be of you

John Denver

On Monday, October 29, 2007 at 11:29 AM
Erin said:

Dear Brown Family,

I am so sorry to hear about the passing of Bryce. I wish I would have known him better. We went to church and school together and I only knew him as a casual acquaintance, but WOW, all I can say is what a wonderful man he is! And Tammy, I've never met you but your strength and spirit shine through in the words that you've shared with so many people. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your beautiful baby girl.
I was shocked to find out that Bryce had Mela "sucka" noma. I was diagnosed with it 6 years ago and thankfully it was in a very early stage. It's easy for me to forget how deadly it can be. If anything, this had made me open my eyes and be more committed to getting my skin checked on a more regular basis and using sunscreen ALL the time!

Erin Gilmore

On Monday, October 29, 2007 at 12:00 PM
Karen York said:

I cannot stop reading your archives. I have been reading all morning. (And I don't like to read) I have also been reading in a small book that is messages for women from President Gordon B. Hinckley. "One Bright Shining Hope"

Each thought I read reminds me of you.
I want to share one with you.
"We have a hymn that we sing in our meetings:
When upon life's billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many belssing; name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.

In times of darkness, try to get to the house of the Lord and there shut out the world. Receive His holy ordinances, and extend these to your forebears. At the conclusion of the session in the temple, sit quietly in the celestial room and ponder the blessings you have received in your own behalf or that you have extended to those who have gone beyond. Your heart will swell with gratitude, and thoughts of the eternal verities of the Lord's great plan of happiness will infuse your soul."
President Gordon B. Hinckley

Tammy, you are in our prayers every day!
Karen

On Monday, October 29, 2007 at 1:34 PM
Anonymous said:

All I can think of at this moment is that Bryce was just too darn wonderful to stay here with us. I've tried to put myself in your shoes and imagine what you must be thinking and going through. It's not possible. I'm sure it's all a big blur right now. I only got to know Bryce through this blog. Reading all the great things about him from you and others who loved him. I also can't stop thinking about his parents and how much they too will miss him and your family as well. Danika will always know her father because you were lucky enough to have a "small bit" of time to prepare the photos and journals. When I came to see you before this all happened I remember my kids were crazy and Dani was crying, but Bryce came and took her in the other room to feed her and take care of her. That's always stuck out to me. That he took equal interest in caring for her and enjoyed it. Everyday, I'm sure, he will continue to be a part of your lives.

Good luck in preparing for tomorrow. I look forward to seeing you, although, I wish it didn't have to be under such circumstances.

Lots of love. I'm thinking of you. You know where to find me if ever you need me.

Nikki

On Monday, October 29, 2007 at 1:46 PM
RDN said:

I just saw the obit on Bryce and recognized his face and name although I had not seen him in 7 years. I did his initial surgery for melanoma in 2000 and then referred him for adjuvant therapy. He had follow up appointments to see me back but chose not to return. It sounds like he really got his life turned around and that you were an important part of that transition. I am so glad to see that you will carry on the fight to prevent this horrible disease which is so surgically curable if caught in the very early stages. Thanks so much for helping to publicize the battle against melanoma and I would be happy to help you with resources in any way you think appropriate. My thoughts are with you and your family in this difficult time......RDN

On Monday, October 29, 2007 at 3:33 PM
Jamie said:

Dear Tammy,
Even though I am unable to attend Bryce's funeral please know that you are continually in my thoughts. I hope to see you soon.
Jamie

On Monday, October 29, 2007 at 3:59 PM
Eileen Wingfield said:

I'm so sorry to hear about Bryce. Thank you for sharing your life and experience with so many through this blog. My thoughts and prayers go out for you, Dani and your families.

On Monday, October 29, 2007 at 4:58 PM
Mandi said:

My dear friend, I wish I could think of something to say that would be adequate. You are always in my thoughts and prayers. They say that when one door closes, another opens. I pray that when that new door opens it is the entry to something beautiful.
Always, M-

On Monday, October 29, 2007 at 5:30 PM
Shazz Pratten said:

as my husband nears his 6 monthly skin cancer check my thoughts turn to you and the brave battle you fought beside and for bryce.

may god grant you the peace that you so deserve after fighting such a hard battle to support your husband. may he grant you sweet memories of your days together and the strength to tell your baby girl what a wonderful man her dady was.

sending you many prayers from downunder xxoo

On Monday, October 29, 2007 at 9:27 PM
Lydia said:

Dear Brown Family,
I don't know you. I've never met you. Yet, I cried as I read Bryce's obituary today. I cried more as I read the beautiful tributes you've written for him on this website. I can't imagine the grief and sorrow you must be experiencing. I do want you to know that many people are praying for you and thinking about you (even strangers). I am truly and deeply sorry for your incredible loss.
You have such a beautiful family. i wish you the very best.

On Monday, October 29, 2007 at 10:41 PM
Pam Wing said:

Dear Tammy,
Your tribute to Bryce is eloquent. Thank you for sharing these past 100 days with all of us who have carefully checked this web site. Oh how we will miss Bryce--and continue to pray for you and Dani.
Love, Pam

On Monday, October 29, 2007 at 11:12 PM
Sarah said:

You do not know me. I'm a fellow sister in the gospel, and across the country. Your tribute to your sweetheart moved me to tears. Your precious Bryce will change the world because of what he went through, and how your family chose to respond to tragedy in illness.
God bless you hon. Hug your baby, as you know Bryce left the BEST of him behind in her.

Thinking of you from Oklahoma
~Sarah

On Monday, October 29, 2007 at 11:36 PM
Holly & Clark said:

Words cannot express the void that our family will endure without Bryce. I can't think of a more fun-loving, energetic, happy, and kind person, and his contribution to our family was immense. Tammy, I know the emptiness we all now feel can't come close to the emptiness you feel, and my heart breaks for you every second of every day. I'm so glad that you have so much love and support coming from every angle, and although nobody will be able to take the pain away, hopefully we can offer you as much comfort as you can handle. You're never getting rid of me, so I hope you use me as much as possible. I feel like Dani is my surrogate daughter now, so she's never getting rid of me either! I love that little muffin so much, and I love you so much. We're here for you for WHATEVER you need. USE US!

Holly, Clark, & Ella

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 1:47 AM
Marianne said:

Today is a beautiful, beautiful fall day in Denmark. I am thinking of the funeral, of you and what you are facing. Today and forward. No words from me can take your sorrow away. But I wanted you to know that I am thinking of you...

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 2:23 AM
Julie Weiss said:

We met at church outside the Bishop's office on Sunday. I just had to say again how sorry I am for your loss. I know how hard it is to lose someone you love very much. From personal experience, you will be amazed how Heavenly Father truly "carries" you, like in the "Footprints" poem. He will never leave your side, especially during your darkest moments.

Anyway, I was amazed to see you on Sunday because it had been such a short time since Bryce passed away. That just showed me your strength and courage! I hope that we get to know each other better and become friends. Your little girl is adorable!

Your Friend, Julie Weiss. Call me anytime you need anything. A friend, a babysitter, whatever! I'm here.

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 8:54 AM
Jeni said:

I just want you to know that my family loves your family. I am "stepstool's" niece and she told me all about your family and your website. I spent an entire day looking at this website moarning for you, Bryce and Dani and for everyone going through what you are going through but I especially was admiring the love your family has for each other. You can feel it in your words and in your pictures. I want to thank you for being such a strong example to everyone, especially for me. Your strength has touched my life. You have taught me that sometimes what I think is important in life is not. Since I have read your story I have taken more time to play with my girls, cuddle with them at night, ignore the dishes in the sink and take the time to enjoy my girls while the time is mine. I also have learned from you to do the same with my husband, tell him how much I love him everyday, how much I appreciate him and am thankful to have him in my life and to enjoy even the simple, day in day out things we do with each other as a family. Thank you for teaching me to slow down, recognize and enjoy today what I have and have been blessed with. You are such a strong, beautiful person who I would love to meet and hug someday. We pray for your sweet family every night and every day. I am so thankful to have the knowledge that this is not the end for you, Bryce and Dani. Families are forever.

We love you,
The Rideout Family

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 10:57 AM
Nicole said:

Hello, my name is Nicole. We have never met before but I live with your cousin Brian. Rolayne and Kent have kept us informed of your fight. I check in on your page from time to time and you have tugged on my heart strings on many occasions. I am really sorry that you and your daughter have lost such a wonderful husband and father. You have been very strong, brave, supporting and loving through all of this. Even though I don't know you, I believe and hope that you will continue to be that person. Take care. When I meet you, expect a huge hug!

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 11:47 AM
Bryan Fairbanks said:

Dear Tammy,

My name is Bryan Fairbanks. I work at Allosource in Denver and heard about your loss in an e-mail. Immediately I felt some sort of a connection and wanted to send you an e-mail letting you know I was thinking of you. This may sound a little strange, but when I heard you worked at the Salt Lake office I had to wonder…”I wonder if she is LDS?” (you know, living in Salt Lake and all, what are the odds?) I saw your blog on your sweet Bryce and after reading a little realized that you are LDS. It is strange how this common thread, without ever having met you, ties us together. I am one of only two LDS employees here at Allosource in Denver. I just wanted you to know that along with the great support of your family and friends there in Bountiful, there will be another family in Colorado keeping you and your daughter in their prayers. My wife and I have a 14 month old daughter, and every time I look at her and think of your situation, I think of how hard this must be for you. I know you will cherish your daughter more than ever before. How grateful I am for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the comfort it brings. Nov 1st will be my last day at Allosource, I will be leaving for graduate school, but if when you read this you want to respond feel free to write me at bgfairbanks@comcast.net.

Sincerely, Bryan Fairbanks

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 2:44 PM
DeAnne & Spencer Heninger said:

My heart is full. You have been through so much over the last 100+ days. You are a true inspiration to many. Thank you, to you and Bryce, who are a great example of best friends. We are all better for having known Bryce. And Bryce is better to have been married to you. May God bless you!! You and Dani will be in our prayers.

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 2:46 PM
Sally McWain said:

Tammy & Family...

I'm not usually at a loss for words, but I'm not sure words can express how touched I was when I left Bryce's services today. I know that the feelings of my own loss are still very close to the surface so I am fairly quick to shed tears, but the spirit of our Heavenly Father in that room today was completely undeniable, from the minute the Opening Prayer was given and He was invited in. So many wonderful words spoken in tribute of Bryce and you as well. I know Bryce was there, and probably taken by the kindnesses shown to him, his sweetheart and baby. And the music...angelic! My heart was so full. It was perfect!

Oh Tammy, you are so loved. I am so glad you'll be staying in the Ward. We need your example of courage and spunk!!! Thank you for letting me be a part of your 100 days, which allowed me to be a part of this beautiful service today. Elder Garff is right. Adversity is a blessing, as hard as it is; and it will be hard! As many times as I cry myself to sleep, even after 7 months, I receive even more blessings and learn more about myself, the gospel, and divine intervention. One of those blessings includes getting to know your sweet family and being your friend.

Take time to sit in the quiet and feel the spirit in your home and feel Bryce's presence. Take time for you and Dani... and keep moving forward by putting one foot in front of the other... You're going to make it! We both will!

I love you
Sally

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 2:49 PM
Marty Nelson said:

I do not know you as I wish I could, but i knew Bryce for many years from elementary to high school. I'm so devasted and saddened by this news and I cry for your precious family. After reading these posts I think there is no doubt left about the fact that Bryce Brown is a good man with a good heart and many friends. I hope we can all give you a little bit of our strength to carry you in this difficult time.
Bryce, we all love you!

Marty & Liza Nelson (Las Vegas)

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 4:08 PM
Anonymous said:

I have been very involved with your story since coming across it a few months ago. It has been an interesting journey following your story. I have looked a life completely differently since I have realize how precious life is. You have helped me to come to this realization, so thank you. It's amazing that we have the gospel to understand where Bryce went and what will happen. The words in the temple are so real. I hope you can feel my love and prayers.

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 4:20 PM
Michael Gardner said:

We have never met but I read the obituaries from time to time just to see what kind of a mark people leave on this world. The fact that you have heard from people who have never met you nor Bryce says a lot about the kind of people you are and the mark that Bryve has made and is continuing to make, even in his passing.
Reading your tributes to Bryce touched me in the heart and even though we do not know each other, the connection is felt on this side.
May you be blessed in your journey.

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 4:53 PM
Jeff Gardner said:

Dear Brown Family:

My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time, and I am so very sorry for your loss. I hadn’t seen Bryce for many years, but truly appreciated his friendship, especially after graduation when we spent quite a bit of time hanging out, playing jam-ball in his back yard and enjoying the Coke café in the Brown’s basement :)

I’m thrilled that Bryce has met such an amazing partner in Tammy, who’ve I’ve never met but clearly was meant for Bryce. Bountiful is a special place, and people like Bryce and the Brown family are the reason for it. But as good as Bountiful is, it’s comforting to know that Bryce is with his younger brother now and with many, many other relatives and loved ones who know him and love him.

Please accept my sympathies at this time and know how much Bryce meant to so many.

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 5:02 PM
Andrea from Philly said:

I just wanted you to know that my thoughts and prayers have been there for Bryce, you and your family since day one of your journey, but especially today. Your story has made such impact on my life, second only to losing my brother to melanoma at age 44. I will continue, like you, to support all of our melanoma warriors here on earth and in heaven, fighting this dreaded cancer until I take my last breath. Please continue to update your blog letting us all know how you and Dani are doing and what you continue to do in your fight against melanoma and to honor Bryce's memory.
Andrea

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 5:10 PM
Katie H. said:

Tammy, and Dani,

That was a beautiful service today. I hope you are able to get a copy of the words that were both sung, and said today, so you can always remember how beautiful the service was, and the spirit that attended. Dani, you will not remember, but today the world cried for your Daddy, and learned much through the testifying of the Spirit. As I was leaving, it looked as though Heaven's rays were shining down on the church, while further south the world cried (rain) for the passing of Bryce. Beautiful words, beautiful spirit, and beautiful numbers of supporters. The world is ever a better place for having the three of you in it. God bless you always.

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 6:09 PM
laurie said:

I realized somthing today and its that this entire time we were praying for a miracle but Bryce is the miracle. tammy I am so sorry that you have to miss your bryce I wish that he could be here for you in more than spirit,he was a wonderful man and I know that he was so happy just to have you as his wife the way that the two of you looked at eachother proves true love. you are a wonderful friend mother and always the best wife. please call me for any thing that you need. I will keep you and dani in my heart and prayers always.
Laurie and family

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 7:13 PM

Tammy and Dani,
I have started to write something a dozen times plus, but every time I do, I end up with nothing to say except that I am so so sorry. It is very apparent that Bryce was a wonderful human being, one that you loved dearly. I hope that you can find peace in knowing that he is no longer suffering. He will be with you always, looking down from above and watching out for little Dani as she grows into a beautiful little girl with her daddy's fine traits and your quirky sense of humor, Tammy. Know that your family and friends (even us cyber space ones) are here for you, no matter what. Hang in there and keep your faith. It will get you through the darkest of moments.
We'll be traveling to Mayo on Thrusday morning for Dave's appointments. He has finished two rounds of chemo and is tolerating them well. As I pray for Dave's restored health, I pray for you, Dani and your entire family. I am in the melanoma fight with you!
Much love,
Tara

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 7:36 PM
Daisha said:

Tammy- The obituary is amazing and beautiful! My mom said that the funeral was wonderful and inspiring and I can't wait to hear more details. We wish we could have been there. Macie, our 4 year old, has been praying for you and Bryce since day one and we all continue to pray for you and that you'll be blessed and comforted and know that you will be. We love you.
Daisha, Cole and kids

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 8:01 PM
susie said:

Wow! What a powerful, inspirational, heartfelt service! Thank you Tammy, Dani, and all who love Bryce for allowing us to be a part of such an intimate meeting. I know Bryce was there as were many other ministering angels!
xoxo,
Susie D.

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 8:20 PM
Polly Smith said:

Dear Tammy,
I do not know you but I share your journey. But mine was with my son. He was 22 when he was diagnosed with mestatic melanomia. With in 16 months he went from a strong vibrant 190 pound young man ready to go on with life to barely 100 pounds at the time of his death. As you were starting your battle, our battle was ending. And as your husband my son always looked into his future with open eyes. Never giving up hope. Even when all seemed to be lost. My heart and prayers are with you and your sweet daughter. May you know that Our Eternal Father only knows why he gives us the blessings he gives us. But in time these come clear to our eyes. May you see the blessings you have been given and cherish them eternally

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 8:53 PM
Natalie said:

Dear Tammy and Dani,
I want you two to know how much you all are in my thoughts these days. I sincerely apologize I was not able to attend Bryce's services. I would love to have given you a big hug and tell all of this to you, in person. I am so grateful to have met you and Bryce! Even though we've only met at the hospital - you guys really have made so many of my days much brighter. I have loved seeing how supportive and loving you are towards Bryce. You are a great example of love, warmth and devotion. You and Bryce are such great examples.
I wish I had some appropriate words to say at this time. Somehow "I'm sorry" doesn't seem strong enough right now. I want you to know you all will be forever in our hearts and prayers. If you ever need help with anything - please know I would do anything to help. Don't hesitate to ask for a favor, help in fighting melanoma, or just someone to talk to.
P.S. - I love the picture of Bryce reading to Dani. . . so sweet.
Natalie

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 9:02 PM
Jaclyn England said:

Tammy, Dani, Browns & Sellers-

What a privilege it was to be able to see you all at the viewing last night and catch a glimpse of you today at the funeral. To say that it was a nice funeral is an understatement. That was one of the most beautiful, uplifting, and spiritual funerals I have ever had the opportunity of attending. The spirit was so strong in the room, a testament to the fact that God lives, loves us, watches over us and is now embracing your wonderful Bryce. Words cannot properly express how saddened and deeply sorry I am for your loss but yet I also feel joy and happiness that so much good came from Bryce’s life. From the lessons he taught us about overcoming trials and adversity to what a good friend and example he was are all reasons to know that Bryce was here for a purpose. He not only fulfilled his purpose but he exceeded it as well. If everyone accomplished and did as much good for the world as Bryce did in the short time that he was here the world would be much better place. I thank you for the opportunity to feel the spirit and learn a little more about a great man.

Tammy – I must say that you are one of the most courageous, strong, gracious, and impressive people I have ever had the privilege of meeting. The grace and dignity with which you have handled the past 100+ days is more impressive than words express. You are an example to us all. Please know that even though you may feel alone you have thousands of fans around the world praying for you and your happiness. Gain strength from that fact that you are loved, cared about, worried for, and thought of by so many people. Thank you for allowing so many of us learn from your life’s lessons and become better people in the process.

Much love,

Jaclyn England

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 9:52 PM
Sammy said:

Tammy and Family sorry for your loss, I am hoping he's playing a few rounds of golf with the man upstairs. He was such the kindest and most big hearted guy. He died a true warrior to the end. My heart goes out to all of you.

With love,

Sammy Wood

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 9:52 PM
Karen York said:

What a beautiful tribute to Bryce today. I returned to my home in Wyoming around 6:00 and I am still(9:50) floating spiritually from what I experienced at the funeral. The members of the Tabernacle Choir were such a privilege to listen to. They sounded just like a choir of angels. They truly invited the spirit. I was also very touched by your YW who started out singing so strong and as the song got weaker, it was because they were in tears. The speakers were all wonderful. It is so nice to be able to laugh at a funeral too. And Elder Garff ended with some very inspiring words and a strong message. What an awesome opportunity to be in his presence and receive such an inspired blessing for ALL in attendance.
Thank you for opening your life to all who desire to be a part of it through your website. Thank you for helping us remember what is important in life. I will continue to visit your website when I feel the need to be reminded. (which is every day) I will continue to share your story with others to get the word out about melanoma. I pray for your peace and comfort.
Stepstool

On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 10:38 PM
Richard LeVitre said:

The funeral services were amazing - I could almost see Bryce laughing at the humor from his Dad and father-in-law. The music was truly inspired and meaningful to all of us. Tammy, you and Bryce did an awesome job in planning it! Those who spoke and sang obviously did so with the Spirit. I know Bryce was pleased - and proud of his courageous wife and family!
You have changed my life and I will be forever grateful that you have shared the 100 days with me and those around the world who have been profoundly moved by your candid insight and rally cry to "kill cancer", to hold each other close, to appreciate the small things, to take care of this great life we have. I hope to follow your fight as you continue to report it. You and Dani and families are still in my prayers. Love, Ann LeVitre

On Wednesday, October 31, 2007 at 12:31 AM
Mike said:

I do not know Tammy and I did not have the pleasure of knowing Bryce. I received this link from a friend that grew up with Bryce in a loving message that warned of the dangers beneath the sun.
I can't tell you the comfort I now feel after reading through the passages here. Tonight a member of my family is fighting his cancer the best he can. But he is in the stages where he is coughing blood out of his weakened body.
The family was called together fearing the worst but he was stabilized for a little bit longer.
I now know Bryce is in the hearts of many people and I felt the strength of his loving wife, daughter, and family. It is an inspiration. Cancer is a terrible disease to watch someone go through and appreciate Tammy for sharing these moments.
My heart is with you.

On Wednesday, October 31, 2007 at 9:33 AM
Stephenie McKinnon said:

Because of the "move" to the big new hospital that happened this week, I wasn't able to get the days off work to attend Bryce's funeral, which made me sad. I would have loved to have been there to share in the tribute and memories of sweet Bryce. I thought of you all day. We cut out the obituary and posted it up in the break room on East 8. Everyone agreed it was a beautiful tribute to Bryce and to your family, and we were all touched by your gratitude and kind thanks. We continue to process our feelings about Bryce's passing, sharing stories, funny and sad, and sharing tears. We aren't always so moved by our patients or their families. Bryce was different. Bryce was very special.
Thank you for letting me be part of your lives at such a difficult time. Thank you for letting me say goodbye to Bryce. Thank you for letting me be there at the end of his life. You and Bryce, with your incredible hope, enthusiasm, humor, love, and commitment, have given me a wonderful gift. As a nurse, I see so much fear and grief and sadness. I see "giving up." I see hopelessness. Up until his very last breath, Bryce continued to focus on everything positive in his life. He "lived" and laughed with his family until his very last moment on this earth. Truly, knowing your family has changed me, made me a better person. I love you all. I know Bryce is keeping his promise to watch out for you and Dani. And I know you will continue to keep your promise to fight cancer, fight melanoma. You have a wonderful, supportive family, and I hope to see you all again (...at the mall!! Not as patients in the hospital!!) :) Thank you, again.
Stephenie

On Wednesday, October 31, 2007 at 11:10 AM

Dear Tammy and Dani,
We continue to pray for you and that you will be comforted. They are also praying for you in Kona Hawaii.
I've made a document of favorite quotes. It includes one from Chieko Okasaki that helped me realize how personally the Lord understands us in our suffering.
"We know that on some level Jesus experienced the totality of mortal existence in Gethsemane. It’s our faith that he experienced everything—absolutely everything. Sometimes we don’t think through the implications of that belief...That means Jesus knows what it felt like when your mother died of cancer—how it was for your mother, how it still is for you. He knows what it felt like to lose the student-body election. He knows that moment when the brakes locked, and the car started to skid. He experienced the slave ship sailing from Ghana toward Virginia. He experienced the gas chambers at Dachau. He experienced napalm in Vietnam. He knows about drug addiction and alcoholism.
"There is nothing you have experienced as a woman that he does not also know and recognize...He’s not embarrassed by us, angry at us, or shocked. He wants us in our brokenness, in our unhappiness, in our guilt and our grief."
Alma explained that the Savior went through all that so He could help us. "And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities."
He understands your needs. He loves you and is reaching out to bless you. Hang in there. We love you,

On Wednesday, October 31, 2007 at 2:39 PM
Natalie Jackson said:

It is unbelievable to me that the English language doesn't have a word that adequately expresses the sorrow we can feel for another person. I suppose empathy is the closest word I know. I feel such empathy for you. Your blog has made it possible for many people to vicariously experience a glimpse of your tremendous trial. Thank you for sharing your lives, loves, thoughts, etc., with all of us. I have greater love and appreciation for my loved ones because you have been willing to share your experiences.

I wish that it were possible for me to accept a portion of your burden so it would feel a little lighter for you; I'm sure everyone would be happy to do the same. If only we could.

I have such respect for you and hope that if I am ever required to go through something like this, that I will have the strength and compassion and gratitude you have exhibited.

You are in my prayers. I know the Lord will bless you in all the ways you need him to.

Sincerely,
Natalie

On Thursday, November 1, 2007 at 12:08 AM
Hannah said:

Wow...that is really all I can say. I have discovered your journal through some random people so I have no idea who you guys are but this was such a powerful thing to read through. I could not stop, I felt like it was a novel that I can't put down..then I would remind myself that it's really your life and my heart would break for you. What a tough cookie you are...seriously. I can tell just by reading all through this that you are an incredibly loved and supported family. I will also tell you that I have been thinking about you a ton since I have read this and have been really asking God to help you with your next step....healing. What a miracle that you have a part of him with you forever and we know God planned it that way. That sweet little girl will be there for all those cuddles and kisses that you will be needing. I look forward to checking in on your progress and the 100 days of kindness is such a fantastic idea....I will spread the word up here in Washington. Many many prayers and thoughts are being sent your way...it's time to take care of YOU! Know that you are never alone in this fight. God bless you. :)

On Thursday, November 1, 2007 at 7:53 AM
BRYAN M said:

Dear Tammy,

You are truly my hero! I remember the first time I met you in that small little room discussing donation and subsequently you’re Brycey. You have a way of lighting up the room just by walking in. Over the years I have seen first hand what Brycey meant to you and how has made you complete. I think about you guys often and it makes the small bumps in my life seem insignificant. If everyone could have the determination and courage that you two have shown, this world would definitely be a better place. I know he has now left his physical body but I truly believe he will always be with you. Bryce was an amazing person and his legacy will live on.

I love you guys.

B Marshall

On Friday, November 9, 2007 at 3:30 PM
Rick Holbrook said:

Brown family,
Bryce was a good friend during my younger years. I knew him to always fight the good fight. Love and prayers,

The Holbrooks