Our Story

Our story about Bryce’s cancer is fascinating and has not been told in its entirety.

Rewind to the early 1990’s when Bryce and I were in high school. We attended BountifulHigh School, where he was Class of 1992, and one year ahead of me. We never knew each other back then, even though our school wasn’t that big. We think we may have had one class together. We took our lifeguard and swimming instructor training courses at the local pool around the same time. He worked there (the Bubble!) as a lifeguard and swimming instructor and I taught at a private indoor pool. We never met!

During the next decade, we went separate directions—in so many ways. (These interim years will make a delightfully mischievous novel some day. Don’t worry, moms and dads—I’ll use a pen name. ;) Meanwhile, his family moved into my family’s neighborhood. In June of 2000, I had just celebrated my third wedding anniversary with someone else, and Bryce had just moved back to Utah from Manhattan, where he had lived for a few years. (We still hadn’t met.) Bryce went to a dermatologist to have a mole checked on the front of his right thigh--the mole had changed from flat and brown to a raised, black mole. The mole was a product of his years as a lifeguard, where he sat on his tower and tanned all summer long. After the mole was removed, Bryce waited an entire week without hearing any results. On Bryce’s 26th birthday, his dog had to be put to sleep after suffering seizures; then came the phone call from the dermatologist stating that the mole was melanoma and he had scheduled Bryce for surgery the following morning.

Bryce’s surgery was big-time. A trace of melanoma was found in a sentinel node, which led to an incision from just above his knee all the way to his hip so his lymph nodes could all be removed. The wound took over a year to heal, since it was located where the leg flexes and would break open constantly. During that year Bryce was on Interferon, which is a drug he had to inject into himself with a needle every day. Interferon is a protein that occurs naturally in the body to fight viruses. It’s what makes you feel sick when you have the flu. Poor Bryce was bedridden for much of 2000 and 2001 due to a wound that wouldn’t heal, and feeling like he had a wicked case of the flu constantly. He was fortunate to be able to live with his family during this long ordeal. By the end of 2001, he was healthy and cancer-free.

Meanwhile, my marriage of 4 ½ years ended during the Christmas season in 2001. I left my life in Portland to return to my parents, brokenhearted and broken spirited. I met Bryce several months later in the neighborhood church our two families attended, where we became friends and workout partners. Since we were both recovering from life-altering and mind-blowing events, we took a long time getting to know each other. He restored my faith in God (and men ☺) and increased my spirituality through his kindness, wisdom, his perseverance through trials, and his down-to-earth spirituality. Bryce was the nicest, most laid-back, confident, happiest person I had ever met. He could walk up to any stranger and they’d be best friends within minutes. He made me feel beautiful, smart, happy and carefree. We got married in March of 2003.

During this happy time, Bryce never failed to visit his oncologist regularly and get his CT scans. The appointments always went well, and the scans were always normal. In 2005, the doctor was worried about some swelling in Bryce’s leg and sent him for a PET scan. The PET was normal. After five years cancer-free, the appointments and scans were changed to once a year. Melanoma was the last thing we worried about.

This past January changed our lives forever. Danika was born! We had wanted a baby for a while, but we were told we would have a difficult time conceiving a child. We didn’t take ‘no’ for an answer, and we beat the odds. Dani is beautiful, happy, hilarious and the perfect mixture of the two of us. And she doesn’t shed. We LOVE her so much, and we love being parents. We planned on having one or two more kids in a few years to complete our family.

In March, Bryce felt a pain under his sternum, which hurt worse when he took a deep breath. Ibuprofen killed the pain. We figured it was a cold or infection that could spread to our new baby (RSV paranoia!), so Bryce went to his primary care physician to make sure it wasn’t contagious. The doctor was confident that it was just an inflammatory response, especially since it responded so well to ibuprofen. Bryce felt better a few days later with no recurrence.

Bryce seemed to feel a bit more run-down and tired in April and May, but that wasn’t alarming or uncommon for him. He LOVES to take naps, which became more frequent after slacking off on exercising due to the baby.

In May, Bryce’s right shoulder started to hurt. Ibuprofen controlled that pain also. The exact location of the pain, combined with the range of motion exercises that provoked the pain, led to the diagnosis of bursitis. High doses of anti-inflammatory drugs seemed to cure the shoulder pain. No worries.

Bryce and “The Guys” went golfing on the 4th of July, and Bryce tweaked a muscle in his butt during the game. (A golfing injury—total oxymoron…) The pain was so severe that night that he couldn’t sleep. He went back to the same primary doc who diagnosed his pain in the @$$ as Piriformis syndrome, a version of sciatica. Rest and stretching exercises took care of that rather quickly.

I went to a work conference several months ago in Washington D.C. where I heard a presentation on malignancies. Melanoma came up as one of the most deadly cancers with an extremely high incidence of recurrence and metastases, even long after being pronounced “cured”. The speech scared me, so I went back to my hotel room and called Bryce and told him to get his butt in to see his oncologist. Now. What interesting timing that speech was…

Bryce went to his oncologist about 8 weeks ago, feeling fine and not worried a bit. He had just played 18 holes of golf that morning! He had the head-to-toe exam, blood tests were run, and he was pronounced “clean and cancer-free”. He didn’t have to do a CT scan this year either, since he is 7 years out with no evidence of disease. They moved him to an every other year CT schedule. The blood tests were “a little off, but the doctor wasn’t concerned”, according to Bryce when he called me after the appointment. He told the doctor that he may be getting a cold, because his lungs were feeling a bit congested—no big deal, but he didn’t want to give anything to Dani. Given the blood results and the congestion, the doctor wrote an order for a chest x-ray if it would make Bryce feel better. Bryce detected no sense of urgency or concern, so he didn’t go for the x-ray.

A few days later, Bryce came home from work early because he felt very tired and run down. He just happened to bring his blood test results home with him. I took a look at the results and freaked out, because they weren’t just “a little off”, EVERY value was off! I called my Dad, who definitely felt a sense of urgency—he said to get Bryce in for his chest x-ray immediately! The next morning, Bryce played another golf game then went in for his x-ray. I told him to have the results sent to my Dad, as well as the oncologist. I called my dad’s office all afternoon, pestering his nurse to procure the x-ray results. Finally, they came through the fax as I was talking to her. She read them to me as they came off the fax. Obviously, she wasn’t expecting the results to say “enumerable malignant growths”, etc. Neither was I. (I’m still glad you read it to me, K. Nobody else would have told us the truth!) She ran the results down to my Dad, who was operating. Meanwhile, I told Bryce to play with Dani while I took a bath. I sat in the tub and sobbed, using the running water to hide the sound. I felt like I was going to throw up. My mind was racing and I was in shock, because I knew what the prognosis was just from hearing the x-ray results. Dad called me as I sat in the water, and he was choked up also. He said he’d come over after surgery. Bryce knocked on the bathroom door, cheerfully wondering when I was going to get out of the tub so we could get some dinner.

That was 8 weeks ago. Go back to the first post in July to read the rest of the story as it happened.

On Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 9:20 AM
Rhonda said:

Thank you for posting this enlightening information. Even though I have known you for a long time I did not know how you and Bryce met or what the situation was with his first episode of cancer. Some of us, at the office, were talking about the magnitude and speed of this demon C. We even wondered if he had been getting regular checkups. Now, after reading about what he went through at that particular time, I am more concerned than ever. He did do what he could but was not given any indication of what was really going on in his body other than stuff everyone hears. If, this is hard, the first time Bryce was not feeling well, could he have been diagnosed at that time if all the correct tests were completed? Was more awareness needed on the Dr's. observations? What could of been handled differently? I know I place a lot of trust in any Dr. I see. Evan though I consider myself as fairly intelligent, I do not have a lot of medical knowledge and I would not have been able to look at blood tests and realize something was not right. What an important and life saving piece of information you have given. I will take a more direct approach with how I interact with the medical profession, also learn what the tests are and what information they provide. Thank you so much for your willingness to share more of your life. Awareness is so powerful. You and your family are such an incredible value to the rest of the world - priceless comes to mind.
Love you. -Rhonda

On Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 11:07 AM

Dear Bryce and Tammy,
What an amazing team you are. What a blessing and example you are to those around you. We pray for you constantly in our family, and the Saints in Provo, Manti, and Idaho Falls are praying for you also. May you feel the angels close beside you. Heavenly Father sends them because He loves you.
We love you too,

On Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 11:36 AM
Gerry and Bob Roberts said:

Tammy, you are a great writer. I can't wait to read your novel! We are still praying for you. Thank you for sharing your story and giving us all a chance to be more vigilant about our health. We love you, Gerry and Bob

On Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 11:51 AM
mom said:

BRYCE WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU.

As many of you read the story of Bryce and Tammy you have been able to witness first hand the wit, intelligence and spirituality of Tammy. Bryce not only makes Tammy feel beautiful and smart SHE IS ALL OF THAT AND MORE. They bring out the best in each other.

As a child Bryce has always been kind to the kid on the sidelines. He has been known to have had too much fun in school. Bryce took some time to find himself and took a few detours along the way. These life experiences have made him the man he is. Bryce is very easygoing and has often laughed at my histeria. I remember when he was 8 or 9 I had just scrubbed the kitchen floor on my hands and knees and Bryce came in for a glass of orange juice. Tilting the picture of juice as he walked across the kitchen floor, he left a trail of sticky juice behind. In horror, I grabbed the juice and poured it over his head. He was so surprised. I did it to make a point. I'm not sure what the point might have been.
Roger has often said that our kids, Bryce included, have given us their brains for safe keepin in a jar during their teenage years. We kept Bryce's a little longer than normal. Finally, he asked for them to be returned and started to make up for lost time.
Bryce works full time with his Dad for Bintz Restaurant Supply as the account manager for MFFB, Mrs Fields Famous Brands. He will soon complete his bachelors degree in Business and Marketing from the University of Phoniex.
He is an advisor for some of the young men in the Ward.
He takes time for his Brown and Sellers families and he makes us all laugh.
I love to hear Bryce laugh when he watches Homer Simpson.
He is such a good daddy and I love watching him do the "Daddy Dance" with Dani as she giggles and laughs. I think she got that growl from him.
Bryce is not a good sick person when he has a cold, but when it comes to the tough stuff like Cancer he becomes a Giant among Men. He really hasn't complained like I would have expected. He has the ultimate positive outlook. He is expecting that miracle. Just yesterday Roger, Tammy and Bryce were talking about the new computer that has been ordered to replace the overworked one. Tammy uses it for work and all of her communication.
"Dad the computer has to have power point on it. I'm going to need it for work and school presentations!" Bryce remarked.

We love you so much.... Thank you for challenging me to be Happy.
Just remember that if a miracle were easy it wouldn't be called a miracle.
Love, mom

On Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 12:40 PM
karen said:

Tami. As well as I know you, I didn't know all the details of your journey. It's great to fill in the blanks. I still say that you have a future as a writer. ( I hope you'll put this whole experience in a book someday...it would be a best seller and also perhaps wake people up to the danger of uncontrolled sunshine!) You are an inspiration to us all, you and Bryce. He is such a gentle, teddy bear of a man, with incredible courage and strength, too. And you, my friend, should have a monument errected to you. Heather and I pray for you many times a day. Keep the faith, kiddo. Dani was in the office yesterday with your mom, she's beautiful and in no way is being neglected. Ella was helping to tend her, too. Love. Karen

On Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 1:19 PM
Leslie said:

Wow, how things can change in a short amount of time. I am so, so sorry that this has happened to Bryce and to your family. I am still here, listening always. I know we don't know each other at all, but I feel so much for your family. I wish you the very best there is.
Thank you for this information. Like the previous comment said, this is going to help me deal better with doctors in the future.
Leslie

On Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 1:47 PM
Erin Allen said:

Hello Brown family, you are in my daily prayers. Bryce, you are a true hero, those viewed in our society as the strong and powerful hold no candle to likes of the emotional and physical strenghths of melanoma fighters. I am the proud sister-in-law of Brian Halley Stage IV Melanoma and am privilidged to offer my prayers to your family. God Bless!

On Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 1:48 PM
Brenda O. said:

Bryce,
You rock! I love how you were playing golf up until the day you found out what was going on in your body. You are a fighter. Keep it up.

On Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 2:41 PM
Jamie said:

Tammy & Bryce,
Thank you for sharing your story with us faithful readers. The two of you have taught me to love more openingly, forgive more easily and laugh more often. My husband and I just had our first ever "full body checks" at the dermatologist thanks to you two. I pray that you will be comforted and that Bryce will improve each day.
Jamie

On Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 2:45 PM
Brady said:

I just wanted to clear my good name. In the post by my dear mother (mom) she claimed that "He enjoys golfing with friends and really likes beating his little brother, Brady." While it is true that Bryce might enjoy beating me, it must be understood that this joy is rarely experienced. Also, for the record I believe that the last three rounds we played together ended in draws.
So while Bryce might enjoy beating me, it is a rare occurrence. He is however, the toughest person I know. I have never met a person that is has beaten the odds so many times. When you get better we are going to Vegas and you are going to make me a lot of money. There is no other brother on earth today that has learned more from his big brother than me.

Keep “given em hell!”

On Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 2:46 PM
Rett Roberts said:

Bryce I wanted you to know that you and your family are in my heart and prayers. Don't underestimate what your example means to those who have been lucky enough to know you.

On Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 2:54 PM
Charlene said:

I look forward to reading your comments daily. Thank you for taking the time to share with us. I don't know you, but I love you for your honesty, wit, compassion, and intelligence just to mention a few. Thank you for sharing your lives with us.
Charlene

On Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 3:12 PM
laurie steadman said:

TAMMY and BRYCE
you guys are great parents and i am so proud of all of you. bryce is kicking butt every day and you tammy are holding all of you together. there is still hope with each passing day god is on your side pray to him. i will keep you in my prayers i am here for you for anything that you need please call if you need me we all love you and wish you the best.
Laurie

On Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 3:35 PM
Tammy Brown said:

This is a reply to some of the questions Rhonda posed.
Yes, I believe, as does my Dad (team captain), that if the doctors had examined Bryce further earlier this year when the symptoms started occurring, perhaps we could have caught this and perhaps stunted the tumor growth. However, melanoma sucks. It doesn't go away. That is what I heard in the conference, which is why I got Bryce in for his annual checkup right then.
More awareness was definitely needed by the docs!! In fact, my Dad called the initial family doc who misdiagnosed Bryce to let him know that he should be more aware of past cancer occurrences, even if they are in a healthy, 33 year-old male. Perhaps we should have pressed the issue back then, but we didn't even fathom that his symptoms could be due to that stupid mole from way back when.
It is true that people should take a more active approach to their own health care. Find out what the tests mean!! The oncologist who blew off the test results has been practicing for many years, and I, part of the medical field but definitely not a doctor, had to read the results later and jumpstart this whole saga. I'm so thankful to have this knowledge, and I challenge everybody else to learn just a little bit more about their own bodies.
Could we have prevented this? Possibly. I'm still not sure how, since we have done everything we were supposed to do. Still, melanoma is one of the most difficult cancers to control and send into remission. Chemotherapy does not do much for this beast. It comes back. When it does, it's usually in the lungs, liver, or brain. It's too late.
Wear sunblock! I was proud to see my sunday school class looking decidedly more pale! You ladies looked beautiful!
WE'RE KILLING CANCER. ALL OF US.

On Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 5:23 PM
Karis Morrow said:

Bryce and Tammy,
Commenting from NW Missouri as another proud sister-in-law of Stage IV Melanoma Warrior Brian Halley. We are all so proud of how graceful you two (and Jenni & Brian here in MO) are handling a truly sucky situation. Jenni and Brian have talked a lot about having Melasuckanoma T-Shirts made, but they both teach and thought it would be inappropriate to be seen wearing them! I think they should be required to sell them at public pools and tanning salons! Anyway, just sending prayers your way as you keep fighting. We are proud of you both. Hugs, Karis Morrow

On Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 5:36 PM
Aunt Shawnee said:

Tammy and Bryce,
You two are so inspiring! Thanks so much for filling in your story...you two were destined to be together...a perfect match! Our family thinks, talks, and prays for you constantly. (Are your ears burning?) Your example has been the base for many faith promoting discussions among church, family, and friends. Your courage,love, faith and willingness to share is changing the world for the better....an instrument in His hands. Thank you!!

We love you, Aunt Shawnee

On Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 6:28 PM

Hi Tammy and Bryce,
Sorry I haven't posted in a few days I have been going through a few tests of my own. Tammy thank you for sharing the story above with all of us!!! I hope you and Bryce are doing as well as to be expected!! At church at the end of our service we had a individual healing prayer service where you could go up and ask for prayer for either yourself or someone you knew. I went up to 2 of the people offering to pray and told them that "my friend Bryce Brown" that's what I always say "My friend Bryce Brown has Melanoma through his entire body and he needs a miracle". Tammy these people in my church are the same people that have prayed for me and over me so they looked at me and asked if I needed any prayers. I looked at them and said "well.. I am going for something tomorrow but really Bryce Brown needs a miracle pray for him first then for me" so that's what we did. They didn't know Bryce's story all they knew is that he has the same horrible disease that they have seen me live with for so many years now as they prayed ( both a husband a wife) they cried they prayed for a miracle for Bryce when they were done they prayed for me. That afternoon I had to take Nathan (my youngest) over to one of my Bible study mom's house to get familiar with her little guy because he was going to be there the next day. I sat at my friend's kitchen table with her and her husband and we all held hands praying again for Bryce and for the Lord to work a miracle on him. And then we prayed for me and then for the Lord to soften my husband's heart. Tammy we prayed for you and Dani as well. Please know that we are all praying for you and that I am thinking of you.
You have been such an inspiration to me and so many others!!! I am in awe of both you and Bryce!!
Love your friend,
Christine Uporsky

On Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 9:03 PM
aunt susan said:

You both are awesome. What a blessing your lives and your blog are for so many. We know you are greatly loved by heaven and all who know you. We're praying for your miracle. You certainly deserve all the vary best! Much Love!!!

On Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 10:48 PM
lisa said:

Tammy..

All I can say say is i am personally
touched by your story and passion.
Dr. LGL of whom you know.. walked in
to work today with an orange bracelet
and introduced his love and support
to me as i have not been so aware.
Myself and my daughter Bailey will
keep you and your family in our
hearts and prayers.

I too want to see this battle of
cancer beaten..thanks for making me
want to do more.

in respect:

Lawrence Dean Nielson
April 2nd 2002
lymphoma.

Lisa Nielson

On Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 10:53 PM
Holly & Clark said:

First of all, to Christine, you are amazing. I can't tell you how much your love, support, and prayers have lifted up my beautiful, amazing sister and strong, tender-hearted brother-in-law. I also want to echo the sentiments of Bryce's amazing family, who have been through so much. Tammy and Bryce truly do bring out the best in each other, and if anybody thinks that they shouldn't be fighting as hard as they are, they clearly don't know these two. They are strong, they are fighters, and they absolutely adore each other. I can't imagine why they would ever give up on that. Keep fighting, B-Town. You guys are the best. We're supporting you all the way!

Love, Holly, Clark & Ella

On Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 11:41 PM

I met Bryce when I was a sophomore in high school, he was in beginning debate with me, Mr. Thacker was our teacher. My memories of him were that he was funny, unique, and kind. We did mock trials together and he was a kick-ass lawyer. I thought for sure he'd go into that profession.

When Tammy first told me that she was dating Bryce, my thought was "I remember him.... and how perfect!" Since Tammy has been with Bryce, I've never seen her happier, more content with life. We were college roommates, so of course I got to witness some of her angst!

I loved reading this story. Even though I was good friends with Tammy and knew her when she went through her divorce and then met Bryce, I had no idea. I visited them in the beginning of July, with no clue that anything like this was in the immediate future. Dani is the first baby who ever, ever made me baby hungry. She knows that she is loved, there is no question. You are superb parents and she will always know that.

Tammy, Bryce, and Dani- I think about you each and every day. I am proud to be part of Bryce's Army.

-Christy (Avis)

On Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 11:00 AM
Marisa (Benson) Bills said:

Tammy and Bryce-
I just wanted to say hello. I found your website and have caught up with what is going on. You guys are amazing fighters! My mom recently told me that she ran into Tammy and that you remembered me from high school. It felt so great to be remembered! Sometimes living so far from Bountiful you feel forgotten. I almost lost my husband a few years ago to some serious medical conditions and I know how hard it is to not be able to magically fix things and make them all better. Just keep fighting. My mom told me how darling Dani is and she was right- she is a doll! You guys have a beautiful family and I want you to know you will be remembered daily throughout this fight.

Marisa (Benson) Bills

On Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 11:11 AM
mike said:

you guys hang in there- putting your story up was very touching- it made me think of my own life, my wife and i had our son in february so bryce and i talked of the joys of a fathers side of pregnancy.

On Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 11:26 AM
Nikki said:

Thank you for sharing your story. As you well know, I forget details over time so it was nice to read the full account.

I often pass a billboard that say this:

Never, never, never give up.
-Winston Churchill

I think of you two every time. What strong souls you are, especially together. Thank you for opening up and being such great examples of this quote. I know you can make it Bryce! Beat the odds!

Nikki

On Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 12:05 PM

Dear Bryce and Tammy,
We continue to think of your family and pray for you and hope for you. The Saints in Manhattan New York and Boise Idaho are praying for you, too.
Love always,

On Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 12:57 PM
Brandy Butterfield said:

You guys dont know me, I work with Sally McWain and she is a close friend of mine. She updates me everyday on your situation an it just breaks my heart that such a beautiful family is going through something so tragic. Tammy, I believe that you are ment to help Sally with her situation just as much as she is helping you. You all are in my thoughts and prayers. WE'RE KILLING CANCER!!!!

On Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 1:55 PM
Wooz said:

Hey guys, I have missed seeing you the last little while. Bryce - I had my family down to Lake Powell last week and often thought about our Sr. trip that we took down there after graduation, you remember that trip. I am pretty sure that I remember you in the group of "mooners" off the houseboat.

Hope to see you guys soon.

Love you brother,

Wooz

On Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 2:16 PM
Larry Leonard said:

Your website is an inspiration and a wonderful tribute to Bryce, and Dani and yourself. I have shared it with all of my family and many friends of both Dan's and mine at LDS Hospital. It is a privilege that all three of you let us share your agony, yes, but much more so your hope. Even on the darkest days there is always hope and promise for the future.

The Quaker saying is: we hold you in the Light. God be with you.

Larry, June, Kate, Chris, Jaeson and our families.

On Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 2:27 PM
Jennifer Anderson said:

Hi Tammy –

I work with Sally McWain and just wanted you to know how touched I am by your family. My thoughts and prayers are with you, Bryce and your beautiful daughter. May God be with you in this difficult time.

Please know that your family is SO important to people that you don’t even know. I have asked Sally to give you a giant hug from me :)

On Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 2:28 PM

Thank you for sharing your story. I enjoyed reading how you and Bryce came to be one. Your words truly express the love you share for one another.

I hope that each day brings you closer to better health and that you're able to enjoy as much time as possible with that beautiful little girl. I don't know you personally, yet I can tell that you're both great parents. Little Dani is a lucky girl.

Continue to fight the fight...

Godspeed...

On Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 3:45 PM
Steff & Nic said:

Hey B-Town & T-Town..
I love reading all these comments on your journal entries. You guys have a million friends!! You must be some serious sweet dudes to be able to attract so many people to you. You guys are the greatest and obviously, with this website as proof, there are hundreds of other people agreeing with me. We love you so much. Thanks for letting us come over and bug you whenever we want- your home has a very loving feel. If the babies ever get over their colds, then they want to come visit too :) One more thing...You get daily comments from Marian and Sally saying they've entered your family's name into several temples around the world. I don't know these ladies but, How cool are they?! We love the people that are fighting for Brycee's miracle! Love ya tons....Steff and co.

On Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 8:01 PM
susie said:

Tammy, Bryce and baby Dani,
sending you good vibes from our hearts to yours! We love you guys and want every happiness for you! We stay on our knees a little longer every day in prayer for your family. Keep your spirits up!
xoxo,
Susie D.

On Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 9:08 PM
Nick & Ashlan Martin said:

I can't belive how popular Bryce is, In the past week I have meet so many people that know him well, its amazing at how much love they have for you and your family. In speaking with Neil your MF friends think very highly of you and are wishing you the best, aother one I ran into was asking how I was so lucky to get a "were killing cancer" wrist band on your behalf, it was Darrin's wife (I guess you were friends with him in highschool) There family was so concerned about your well being. They wanted to know how they could get some, hey maybee should start selling them to pay for all the drug expenses you were talking about. (Just an Idea). Its amazing to see how many lives you are touching my little sister (jacqueline) who doesn't know oersonally only through Ashley and Brady,had been asking me to get a wrist band from you guys, I think she finally got the courage to ask Brady for one (since my whole family has them now), she wears it daily and shares your story with many friends at the highschool.It was so neat to see at Kennadee birthday last week that there were over 10 people there wearing these wristbands. They may seem like such an insignificant thing buts its amazing how many people want to know why you have one and what is the story behind it. You guys are saving lives daily. There are so many praying for you and your family daily, you guys are incredible, I appreciate you sharing your horrific story with all of us to educate us of this monster. Our thoughts and prayers are always with you guys. Tammy just know how lucky you are to have such great family to help with Dani in your time of need. We love you guys.
Nick, Ashlan, Kennadee, Ryker

On Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 10:41 PM
Lindsey Sellers said:

Hey, I just have to say that I have always loved your story. I also think that your wedding is the best I've ever been too and truly reflected the fun relationship you two share. I pray for you constantly and I am reminding all my students at the high school to wear sunscreen! I have students who work at the water park down here and I'm becominig a big sun screen advertisement. Thank you so much for sharing your story and know that I love you both.

On Thursday, September 20, 2007 at 2:32 AM
Reed Cowan said:

What a beatiful story of how the two of you met! I'm glad to see you are celebrating the beauty of your "reunion." I believe that every time we meet and fall in love...we're just reuniting with someone who made an agreement with us before we arrived here.

I love the following song as it reminds me of you.
Be happy today & know you are loved.
Best to Bryce and baby!
Reed

***God Bless the Broken Road***
Rascall Flats
I set out on a narrow way, many years ago
Hoping I would find true love
along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through
I couldn't see how every sign
pointed straight to you

[ Chorus: ]
Every long lost dream
Lead me to where you are
Others who broke my heart
They were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way
Into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you.

I think about the years I spent
just passing through
I'd like to have the time I lost
and give it back to you
but you just smile and take my hand
You been there, you understand
It's all part of a grander plan
that is coming true.

[ Chorus ]
Every long lost dream
Lead me to where you are
Others who broke my heart
They were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way
Into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you.

Now I'm just rolling home
into my lovers arms
this much i know is true
that God blessed the broken road
that led me straight to you

That god blessed the broken road
that led me straight to you

On Thursday, September 20, 2007 at 7:56 AM
earlene said:

I loved the picture of you sleeping on the hospital bed with Bryce. It brought back a lot of good memories of the special private times I had with my son Brady. Your memory is a gift from God, you will always be able to live in the past just enough to make the present "doable". We love both the Sellers and Brown families and sincerely pray constantly for you. I haven't removed my bracelet not even to shower...(rubber a good choice). My daughter-in-law was diagnosed last year with stage 4 melanoma and we are going to never ever even listen to a doctor when he says she is cancer free. Because of you, we will be diligent forever. I remember your wedding cake and it makes me laugh, you truly are the perfect couple. Love so much Earlene

On Thursday, September 20, 2007 at 12:34 PM
Michele Wood said:

Bryce and Tammy, you do not know me. I am a friend of Jeen's, and I learned of your website just today. I read with inspiration and heartbreak as you have been given in this life so much happiness and sorrow in such a short amount of time. Tammy, your incredible strength and outlook come through the words you write. (Humor is a wonderful coping tool. Use it often.) I wish I were as well versed as you and could express my heartfelt best wishes to you and your families, today and tomorrow and again. My prayers are with you.

On Thursday, September 20, 2007 at 4:06 PM
Jamie said:

OK, so now I have read two comments about the wedding.....will you tell us about the wedding??? Inquiring minds want to know what you two crazy kids did!!
Love ya!
Jamie

On Thursday, September 20, 2007 at 6:45 PM
Elder & Sister Clark (Illinois Nauvoo Mission) said:

Bryce and Tammy, You are in our prayers. I knew you two were a special match when we saw you together before we came on our mission. I haven't been able to read all that you've written, but I can see that you are spiritual giants. You have a very loving family behind you. We love you too.

On Thursday, September 20, 2007 at 7:55 PM

Tammy and Bryce,
Know that I am with you everyday. Tam, it was great to hear your voice today I only wish I could have been right there ti wipe that tear that I heard falling down your cheeck. My dear sweet friend check your email as I have sent a bunch of chubby hugs your way with some chubby flowers to brighten your day!!! I love you very much and I lift you too up to the Lord to carry you just as much as he carries my friend "Bryce Brown. Oh and by the way my dad called about an hour ago asking about that kid Bryce and his Bride Tammy.. I let him know that we spoke....Take care my friend...
Peace and love,
Christine Uporsky

On Thursday, September 20, 2007 at 9:05 PM
Jenni said:

Brian and I found our way to each other after my husband of 5 years left me with 3 year old and a 12 week old daughters. We had been divorced for about 13 mo. when mutual friends set us up. Brian had just ended an engagement about 4 mo. before and had just had his first tangle with melanoma about 3 mo. before. When we met, he was "fine" and healthy, a nasty scar on his leg. He brought the life back into me, and the love we have is what I always hoped and prayed for in my life. I am so lucky.

Reading your story of your journey to Bryce reminds me so much of us. I think it makes our stories and battles with melanoma that much more frustrating. I was so thankful for the blessing of Brian in my life, and now I can't believe that God brought him to me (we will be married 5 years in Jan. and our son will be 4 in Feb.) and now he's being taken away from me.

I still consider him a wonderful blessing, and I am thankful for whatever time I have with him. I just don't want to let him go.

Your story touches me, and I am praying for you and Bryce and Dani.

Jenni, wife of Brian, stage 4 melanoma
Believing in a miracle...

On Thursday, September 20, 2007 at 10:39 PM
Sally McWain said:

Been thinking about you all day. Hoping you're getting some sort of rest and nourishment and peace...and lots of baby kisses (from Dani & Bryce). Thank you for allowing me such a long visit Sunday night. Sending you hope, courage, and so much love. See you soon.
Love, Sally

On Friday, September 21, 2007 at 7:27 AM
Dave said:

Hi Tammy and Bryce-

Thank you for sharing your story with everyone. Tammy- I remember when you were going through all the phases in your life (well the ones from when we were 11 till now anyway), and seeing them all out there reminds me what you have been through and how amazing and strong you are. I know you and Bryce are soulmates, and won't let anything get between you. As I sit here holding back tears and late for work, I think about how fortunate I am to be given each day. Life should never be taken for granted, and love lasts forever. You demonstrate that perfectly. Carrie and I love you, Bryce, and Dani, and we continue to pray for you. The way you are fighting this is nothing short of heroic. Keep strong, and please rest when you can.

Dave and Carrie

On Friday, September 21, 2007 at 10:32 AM
Mom S. said:

Dear Tammy, Bryce and Dani,

Oh, how I love you, my darling little family! Tammy, the other day I was thinking about you as a tiny precious little girl, wondering what your life would hold. Of course, you imagine your children in the best of circumstances when they grow up. It's a very good thing that we can't see the future or I never would have let you out of the house!

However, God didn't put us on this earth to be insulated from all that life brings to us. He wants us to experience the good and the bad, to be able to choose right from wrong--to be able to choose in general. That is a gift! If we had no bad, we wouldn't know the good. Unfortunately, some of the bad is extremely painful and you've certainly had your fair share and more. You are weathering this challenge with much dignity, of which I am proud of you for. You, like Bryce are a fighter, not only in this challenge, but in others as well. You will be stronger for it and comforted from our Heavenly Father.

It is heartwarming to read all of the comments, not only from joint friends, but from others around the states, either in like circumstances or genuinely good people who are drawn to you and your situation who would like to share your pain. It is fun to see how many of our acquaintances are following your ordeal. Dave, please give your parents our best! Our year in Baltimore is still one of our very best experiences! Judy and Marvin, only a short while to go!

Tammy, you need to put a picture of your wedding cake on this site. It helps to show what a free spirit you are. I fought Tammy's wedding reception plans because I felt that it would embarrass us all, but it ended up being such a fun occasion--party. People still talk about it. I love your stubborn, independent streak, and yet your warm, loving, sensitive self, too. And I love that fact that you are not afraid to express who you are. That is what makes this site such a tender one for us all. You have born your soul to us and have let people in. No wonder you have so many friends.

I love the words to the poem that Reed shared. Did you say that it was a song? I would love to have it. Yes, Reed?

Tammy and Bryce, we still pray for miracles. We have seen many and expect more. We love all of you and are so grateful for the miracle of your meeting and of your baby. What a blessing she is to you!

Dad and I love you all!!!!!

On Friday, September 21, 2007 at 1:06 PM
Nate said:

Just wanted you to know that your experience prompted Mandi and I to go to the dermatologist, yesterday. They took three suspicious moles from her for biopsy (and put a few stitches in her). They are probably nothing scary, but it pays to be vigilant.

You two are making a difference by your example.

On Friday, September 21, 2007 at 3:08 PM
Sandra D said:

I have never met you and only met Bryce once. I work for a rep company that does business with Bintz and was recently told about your blog. I just wanted to tell you and Bryce that I think of you often.

Sandra

On Monday, September 24, 2007 at 10:21 AM
Karen Baxter said:

Tammy and Bryce,
I enjoyed reading Bryce's mom's comments about Bryce. She made me laugh and cry. I can see where Bryce gets his sense of humor. (I loved the orange juice story--what a spunky mom!) Thanks again for educating us about our health, for teaching us to better show our families we love them, and for inspiring us with your faith and courage. We love you guys!

Aunt Karen